The Nantahala Hiking Club conducts hikes on most Saturdays, Sundays and occasional weekday hikes. As you hike with the Nantahala Hiking Club certain people agree to drive to the trailhead, taking two to three hikers. It is a courtesy to the driver to chip in for gas after the hike. The NHC Board has suggested 10 cents a mile as a fair return. The round trip mileage is given in the description of each hike. Carpooling helps minimize traffic and reduce the carbon footprint. Also, some trailheads have limited parking. You do not need to be a member to hike with our Club. Families and children welcome! The hike leader will let you know if their hike is appropriate for children.
E: Easy: Short hike, little change in elevation gain.
M: Moderate: 4-6 mile hike, up to 1000’ elevation gain.
S: Strenuous: 6 miles or more, over 1000’ elevation gain.
VS: Very Strenuous
Meeting Point Abbreviations:
MP: Macon Plaza, Franklin
WP: Westgate Plaza, Franklin
CBP: Ballpark near PO, Cashiers
CH: NHC Clubhouse
SMV: Smoky Mtn Visitor Center, Franklin
- On all hiking trips, bring lunch and drink.
- A hiking stick is optional. Wear sturdy shoes or boots and bring rain gear.
- Guests are always welcome.
- Groups wait no longer than 5 minutes past the set meeting time.
- Those carpooling are asked to contribute 10 cents per mile to the driver.
- “R/T” = round trip.
- Weather may cause changes to the schedule.
- All area codes are 828 unless noted.
- Reservations required.
- Hike limit: 20 people.
- Please check with the hike leader if you want to bring your dog.